Thursday 18 March 2010

Shutter Island

The latest Martin Scorsese film starring Leonardo DiCaprio, Leo plays a US Marshall sent to a secure psych hospital on a remote island to investigate the mysterious disappearance of an inmate. As you can imagine (and is telegraphed by the ominous music) things don't turn out to be straight forward in this "B-movie" style psychological thriller as the lines between good and bad as well as reality and delusion blur frequently.

Having watched it this afternoon, I have to admit, that my first reaction as I left the cinema was not a positive one. As a sucker for a happy ending I was left feeling that I had simply not enjoyed this film, on reflection though there are things that I admired. The frequent twists and blurring between reality and delusion kept me sucked in to the very end (even if it was only in the hope that reality would shine) as well as leaving me with an odd sense of questioning my own reality as I cycled home! Also, as I think back over the different set pieces in the movie, the subtleties on the plot have become more engaging to me, to the point where (after three hours in recovery) I feel inclined to watch it again to pick it to pieces as it goes.

The acting is good throughout if not appropriately hammy in places, the pictures and sound do a similar job of immersing you while always overstepping the line enough. I think it was a little long though, one twist too many?

Rating: ★★★★✩
Would I recommend it? Yes, as long as you like them fairly strong
Do I want to ever see it again? Yes, if only to redress my own naivety

Watch the trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment